A little bit of history……. This was a quiet little tourist camp, with four cabins nestled along the shores of Abram Lake started by Jimmy and Ethel Crann. They had acquired the property after the construction of the gravel road in 1934 that linked Sioux Lookout with the rest of the world! Our current location had been a construction site for the contractor’s that built the Hwy.
In 1946 Vic and Lil Anderson along with their son Bob purchased the camp and hence the name Anderson’s Camp’s. In 1951 Bob married Marge and over a 26 year period, the Anderson family built the business through marketing efforts in Outdoor Life Magazine, Field and Stream Magazine and word of mouth. The camp grew to a 12 cabin operation offering American Plan and Housekeeping Packages. Guests then too, enjoyed World Class Pickerel, Muskie, Lake Trout and Pike fishing. In those days, ice from the lake was cut into blocks and stored in the ice house in saw dust – this was the ice that was supplied for the ice box in the guest cabins. Each cabin on the water had its own dock, and 16’ Cedar strip boats and 20 h.p. Johnson engines were the equipment of the time. As Marge recalls “guest’s were quite distressed when Bob put electricity to the whole camp because they liked things the way they were – that was in 1952”.
Twenty six years later, the Anderson family sold to Mr. Gary Nault from southern Ontario who had the camp for a very brief period of time; and in 1974 a young couple from Regina – Dick and Bev Fahlman acquired Anderson’s Camps. With a sense of adventure and the desire to provide a great life in the north for their family – the journey began!
Driven by passion, they spent 38 years rebuilding and growing Anderson’s Lodge to the World Class Fishing Lodge that it is today. They brought with them a $400 truck; there were 12 cabins, one of which the Fahlman family lived in; 5 cedar strip boats and one 16’ Lund along with 3 – 20 h.p. Johnsons, managing to get one 20 h.p. Mercury engine on lease. The original lodge is in fact the white house that stands in the middle of camp today! “Family style” American Plan was hosted here and the introduction of “The Trappers famous
BBQ Rib night and Steak night” was the first invitation that we were open to the public. In 1981 a brand new Lodge of log construction was the start to providing unmatched facilities for a fishing camp and the beginnings of Foxy’s Dining Room. The acquisition of Fly-In Outpost camps over the years, the construction of brand new cabins at the main lodge location, and the purchase of a fleet of custom-built Bowriders compliments the growing business and meets the needs of the ardent fishing guest of today!
2012 began a new era, with long time managers Jackie Duhamel and Jody Morin acquiring the business from the Fahlman’s. In 2013 we were fortunate to be able to complete the vision and build two brand new, state of the art Outpost cabins at our Fly-In Outpost camps on Lac Seul.
Continuing with the tradition of excellence, commitment, expertise and drive; combined with a shared passion for what our part of Canada has to offer, Anderson’s Lodge will ensure you have a fishing vacation experiencefull of fantastic memories that will last a lifetime.
Thank you for allowing us to share our home with you!
Jackie & Jody